Since its inception in 1875, your company, S L Horsford & Co. Ltd., has been actively involved with our country’s development. In addition to our enhancement of the lives of citizens through the provision of a wide range of affordable goods and services, we are also stoutly proud of the contribution we continue to make through our steadfast involvement in various educational, sporting, cultural, social and community activities in our twin-island federation. As we enter the second decade of the twenty-first century we consider it appropriate to highlight the significant support we extend beyond our trading operations.
Throughout our one hundred and thirty six (136) years of service we have willingly returned financial and other support to the people without whom such longevity would not have been possible. This partnership with our people, which we have created and nurtured over the years, has been manifested in many ways including, but not limited to:
- Provision of scholarships to students of the CFBC College, including many participants of Project Viola, a programme which ensures the continued education of teen mothers. This support covers expenses for uniforms, books, registration and examination fees and provides a monthly transportation and meals allowance. Moreover, our acknowledgment of the pivotal role of education has resulted in our being the major sponsor of the Teachers’ Union Annual Awards Banquet/Ceremony for many consecutive years
- Sponsorship of the St. Paul’s United Strikers Football Club, the Highlights FC in Nevis, Ghetto Roots Senior, Junior & Female Basketball Teams, the Basseterre High School Netball Team, the Pacesetters Athletic Club and the Annual Junior Tennis Competition organized by the Department of Sports. Additionally, we have consistently partnered with the St. Kitts-Nevis Football Association and Cricket event organizers on various marketing initiatives
- Involvement in National Carnival through our multi-year sponsorship of the Legends Calypso Tent, Bankers Mas Camp and Sylvester’s Masquerade troupe. We have also offered assistance to individual calypsonians and have made significant financial input to the Haynes Smith Miss Caribbean Talented Teen Pageant held during our Carnival celebrations. Culturama, too, has benefited from our Nevis Center’s community-spiritedness
- Support for various social and community efforts through our partnership with both Rotary Clubs, The Royal St. Christopher & Nevis Police Force, The St. Kitts & Nevis Red Cross Society, The Hotel & Tourism Association, the National Emergency Management Agency and the Parks & Beaches Unit of the Department of Health & Environment, among others
- Contribution of goods and services toward fund-raising efforts of the Special Education Unit, village festivities committees, neighbourhood self-help groups and many other small, community-conscious organizations
The large sums we have invested over the years have borne fruit. We have seen a number of our scholarship recipients blossom into productive citizens who currently serve our federation in various business and professional capacities. Members of our sporting teams have consistently expressed their gratitude for the opportunity to utilize their off-time in a healthy, productive manner and all of them have, at various times, rewarded us by capturing championships within their respective leagues. Moreover, several of our basketball and football players have earned college scholarships to pursue further education abroad and have been able to capitalize on the opportunity to broaden their horizons and improve their quality of life.
Your company, S L Horsford & Co. Ltd., is extremely proud of the contribution we have made to the overall development of our people. We know the communities we serve are truly appreciative of our involvement and we will, with the continued support of all stakeholders, continue to build on the existing robust PARTNERSHIP WITH OUR PEOPLE.